HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Geoff Carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:43:00 +0000
in europe it's still kind of complicated -
some are trying to argue that CRM firms should be allowed to work anywhere within the EU, on the basis that they are "service industries" which EU legislation is trying to make more mobile (i.e. "efficient") -
France is one country which has tried to back out of the agreement, arguing that archaeology is culture & exempted from general mobility/competition legislation -
which means that france technically has no private firms doing archaeology (last i heard, altho the country was basically going thru a meltdown as the funding formula didn't work), which means that when tenders go out for bids on EU-funded projects, foreign companies must (by default) come in to do the work...
the british have been trying to get into germany (only some lands/states allow private firms; many still maintain state monopolies), they have done work in spain, poland, lebanon, hong kong, france, etc. -
but basically, there is no wage for archaeologists here: there are a lot of voluntary internships and people apparently willing (desperate?) enuf to take any offer you can give them -
in part because larger projects rely on untrained labour brought in from the unemployment offices, and many take students from any discipline (my wife is lucky to have a few architects who can draw) who work 1 or 2 days a week...