From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:05:25 +1100
I notice cpo has released Weingartner's 1st symphony and wondered
if anyone has heard that all of them are to be released, which seems
to be cpo's practice.  There are seven in all written between 1899 and
1929, the last of them including a chorus and organ.  A few snippets
are available at cpo's website, http://www.cpo.de/en/cpo/cpo_set.html
Incidentally, the most recent incarnation of Mozilla Firefox includes a
rudimentary player for audio clips which is much faster than the lumbering
Windows Media Player.

About twenty years ago, an Australian orchestra recorded Weingartner's
5th for broadcast.  For some reason, it was heard only once and the
tape seems to have disappeared.  I remember a rather Wagnerian-Richard
Straussian work lasting about 45 minutes which was attractive enough to
make me want to hear more.

Richard Pennycuick