ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:31:02 -0500

We have a very successful program entitled FAST (Family Adventures in
Science and Technology).  It is held on the last Sunday of the month
during Sept., Oct, Jan.-March.  The FAST program provides our family
visitors with opportunities to explore current science topics and
technologies that include engagement and active conversation with MIT
students and researchers. We contact groups and departments at MIT
whose faculty, researchers and students  develop demonstrations that
illustrate their current research and related activities that involve
family groups.  Each FAST offers a completely new set of learning
experiences and creates an exciting learning atmosphere.  The
programs are 2 hours long, and have low impact on
scientist/engineer/researcher time.   We sell the project to the
faculty, researchers and students in a number of ways:  (1) late in
the summer, I send a note to the Dean of the School of Engineering
with the request for departmental participation (couching it of
course in terms of MIT's goals for community outreach) and he sends
it out to department heads - that gets it vetted institutionally; (2)
I tell researchers that their NSF grants require public
dissemination, and we're their logical in-house venue; (3) students
need to be able to communicate in nontechnical terms to a general
audience about what it is that they do - it's a public understanding
of research piece.  When they ask why that is important, I ask them
to remember one word: semiconductors.

I cruise our (MIT's) website, particularly the News Office pages to
find out who is doing what.  I do the same with individual
departments.  I particularly ask the News Office folks who can give a
good talk.  Pitfalls include someone occasionally not showing up.  I
had a grad student do that once, he sent his wife who knew nothing
about the subject and our visitors weren't too keen about it.

We've conducted surveys to find out what people want/don't want,
like/dislike, subjects they are interested in, etc.

Thanks,
Beryl

--
Beryl Rosenthal, Ph.D.
Director of Exhibitions and Public Programs