ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:43:01 +1100

Jeff,

The height of the fluid in the column or tank is one of the main factors
that influences the "correct" thickness, as that obviously drives the
pressure. The other factor is the width of the tank. The wider the tank,
the more flex or bowing that a particular pressure will create, AND the
stiffness of the material is important too. The thicker the stiffer, but
also remember that glass is much stiffer than plexi. Applying glass
based aquarium rules of thumb to a tank built from plexi will give you a
tank that bows a lot more ( often about 10 times that of similar
thickness glass). And while the plexi can withstand the pressure, the
flexing tends to focus stress in the joints which tends to let go, or if
your gluing is first rate, the glue holds, and the plexi fractures next
to the glue.  If the amount of bowing is not a problem, make the sides
of your tank from inch square stock ( plexi, aluminium extrusion, etc)
so the edges have a wide contact area to support the bonding, and spread
the stress from the flexing. Also makes it easier to run plumbing into
and out of the tank if your creating a flow tank.

Not a definitive answer, but hopefully some help.

Cheers
Stuart Kohlhagen
Manager Exhibition Services
Questacon