ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:37:49 -0400

Hi, Jennie:  As the VP of the National Association for Museum
Exhibition, I certainly agree with you, and our own exhibits services
director raised a similar point.  I believe that the Exploratorium's
recent work on Active Prolonged Engagement addresses some of the
factors you are mentioning.

I am currently looking into something different,  not floor staff as
interpreters of exhibitions, but a separate type of programs in which
people, aided by props, multimedia, whatever, are the primary
deliverers of the message.  For example, the Current Science program
at MOS in Boston has a rather elaborate multimedia armature, but is
fundamentally dependent on the staff person conducting the talk.
Similarly with "science lunch counters" demos, and science theater.

I have no doubt that human interaction adds to the impact of
exhibitions, though I am grateful for research leads on this (thanks
to those who have provided it).  In this instance, I am casting about
for the impact and audience attractiveness of these other genre of
programs, the HDE (the birth of an acronym).

Eric Siegel
New York Hall of Science
(718) 699-0005 x 317