ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:34:49 -0500

Bob Russell wrote:

 Dynamic presentations by people works very well. Boring lectures  don't.
So
> the question isn't so much, does it work in general, but what  kinds of
> human
> interventions, presentations really work well in an interactive  museum.

Bob, I was just trying to formulate this and you did it so very well. I'd
like to add to the end of that "to improve visitor experience."

I remember in my educational technology research course in the mid-70's
based on 40 years of studies one of the maxims was: studies that compared
media type to media type (e.g., television to face-to-face instruction)
always showed no significant difference when all the variables were
controlled. Recognizing that leads us to look at what capacities human
beings have to support good experiences and to make choices about when to
include that in the mix of strategies.

Carey