ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:50:31 -0700

Gees Beryl,

Does anybody have any references as to how formal 'learning' crushes the
spirit out of any kind of learning. I have an 11 year old son in the 5th
grade of a supposedly 'good school.' He comes home with all the
enthusiasm of a banana slug (no slight on you banana slug fans intended)
and enough mindless 'fill in the blanks sheets' to choke a camel. This
passes for teaching and education nowadays? We spend all his hours out
of school trying to undo all that was done in. It is very discouraging.

Joe Ruggiero
www.TheExhibitGuys.com