ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jamie Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:14:43 -0800

Eric,

I just returned from Phaeno last week. It is indeed an inspiring, fun
building with a rich collection of science, art  and perception
exhibits/pieces. Ansel Associates Inc. did a fantastic curatorial
job, as did the vendors, artists, and Dr. Wolfgang Guthardt and the
entire Phaeno team who will now take "Die Experimentierlandschaft"
forward. Put it on your to do (and notice) list!

Jamie

On Nov 28, 2005, at 2:49 AM, Eric Siegel (optonline) wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> From today's NY Times, it sounds like a wonderful project.  Joe
> Ansel has been directing the exhibition program, I think, and I
> know that Trimpin did a large centerpiece.  Sounds wonderful.
>
> Eric Siegel
>

> November 28, 2005
> Architecture Review | Phaeno Science Center
> Science Center Celebrates an Industrial Cityscape
>
> By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
> WOLFSBURG, Germany - Architecture fans have been logging a lot of
> air miles lately. Groupies seeking to whiff out the state of the
> profession are more likely to find it in places like Seattle,
> Cincinnati, Porto or Basel than in New York or Paris.
>
> Now they can add another destination to the list: Wolfsburg.
> Designed by the brash London-based architect Zaha Hadid, the city's
> new Phaeno Science Center is a hypnotic work of architecture - the
> kind of building that utterly transforms our vision of the future.
>
> Ms. Hadid has never had much patience with the sentimentality that
> leads some planners to seek inspiration in the 19th-century urban
> model. Instead, her roots lie in the flowing freeways, modern
> housing developments and industrial landscapes that define the 20th
> century. The science center is the next step in that evolutionary
> chain. Propped up on sleek cone-shaped columns, its sensual forms
> draw strength from the energetic cityscape that surrounds it.
>
> One could argue that Wolfsburg has been preparing for this moment
> for more than half a century. Founded in 1938 by the Nazis as a
> factory town called KdF-Stadt - for Kraft durch Freude, meaning
> "strength through joy" - it churned out what would become known as
> the Volkswagen Beetle for a newly mechanized Germany. The ominous
> brick smokestacks of the city's Volkswagen factory, the largest in
> Europe, still loom above the city, separated by the Mitteland Canal
> from rows of bleak workers' housing.
>
> In the late 1950's, city officials set out to spruce up Wolfsburg's
> image, enlisting help from some of the world's most enlightened
> architects. Alvar Aalto of Finland designed the city's marvelous
> culture center, with its flowing lines, central roof terrace and
> naturally lighted interiors, as well as a Lutheran church. The
> jagged external forms and expressionist interiors of Hans
> Scharoun's theater complex make it an architectural jewel.
>
> Ms. Hadid's design flows directly out of Wolfsburg's history. The
> center - housing physics, biology and chemistry exhibits - rises on
> a site just east of the city's train station and north of a sprawl
> of generic 1990's office and shopping developments. High-speed
> trains ramble by on tracks to the north, with the canal and factory
> towers just beyond.
>
> Rather than turn its back on that context, the science center
> embraces it. By positioning her dynamic concrete shell atop
> [...]

Jamie Bell
Program Director, ExNET
The Exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.