ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Summer Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:18:32 -0500

Michael and all:

(Firstly, Jonah, I have to know more about the Most Dastardly Exhibit
Component Ever.)

The Science Place has at least two dendrites to feed into your synapse:

In the fall, we're hosting "Brain: The World Inside Your Head," a traveling
exhibit from Pfizer.  Its main page is here: http://www.pfizer.com/brain/.
There's an online exhibit tour, too, to get you thinking:
http://www.pfizer.com/brain/etour.html.  Several exhibits are interactive,
though not particularly inquiry-based.  We plan to enhance the experience
with staffing, including sheep brain dissections and smaller-scale hands-on
activities.

We're also planning an optical illusions exhibit in conjunction with some
professors and students at the University of Texas at Dallas.  Instead of
focusing on the different types of illusions as organizing principles for
our narrative (perspective/color/reflection/etc.), we're emphasizing where
in the "information path" (light to eyes to optic nerve to shape recognition
(line/angle/location) to figure recognition) the disconnect occurs.  Is it a
trick of the light?  A trick of the eye?  A trick of the brain?  This
points/pieces/perception rubric lends itself particularly to neuroscience.

So please sign me up for the swapping of information, 'specially for the
blog part.  (I heart blogs.)

We look forward to sharing with and learning from everyone.

Amygdalically,
Summer
Summer N. Smith
Director of Visitor Experience