ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Becky Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:09:58 -0500

We are planning to renovate an existing theater space and are looking for design ideas and recommendations.  We mainly present demonstrations and programs for school groups in the room and occasionally use it for public programs.  What are features of the room where you just LOVE to present demonstrations and programs?

Our approximately 1000 sq. ft. theater currently seats about 80.  The seating and stage area are arranged on the diagonal with the double doors entrance on one corner.  One of the problems with this arrangement is that visitors who come or go during the middle of a program enter into or across the stage area.  The large hardwood floor stage area has a large, heavy curtain that can hide the back part of the stage.  (This room was originally planned for theatrical productions, dance, puppetry, etc.)  There is a large closet for storage (never large enough, are they?) at the back of the stage (inconvenient when someone needs something from there in the middle of a program).  The audience area includes carpeted tiers with chairs on the upper levels; the bottom levels are without chairs (and we can squeeze in more small children there when we need to).  There are stairs up the middle of the tiers and at either side.

How are your theaters that function well arranged ?  What works at your site?

Thanks for your input!
Becky

Becky Fox Matthews
Educator/Special Projects