From:
Gregory Bungo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 19:37:43 -0500
Jeff Dunn wrote:

>I was reading an issue of BBC Music Magazine and ran across a report
>that certain composers literally cause nausea upon exposure to certain
>individuals, and was wondering if any Listers experienced that sensation
>in their lives.  ...

I don't think the following anecdote was a case of nausea, but it may be
similar to what you experienced.  From _Mozart: A Cultural Biography_, by
Robert Gutman, page 56:

'He [young Mozart] had so delicate an ear that until almost his tenth year
he could not stand the sound of a solo trumpet.  Wishing to cure what he
feared might become a phobia, Leopold persuaded Schachtner to take the boy
by surprise with trumpet blasts.  Almost three decades later Schachtner
still recalled with shock what had followed: "Scarcely had Wolfgang heard
the blaring tones than he turned pale and began to sink down; had I
continued any longer, he would certainly have suffered a convulsion."'

Sincerely,

Greg Bungo
Elmhurst, IL