From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:12:51 -0400
Bill Hill asks:

>Can anyone recommend other noteworthy Barbirolli recordings
>that I should hunt down?

I am a huge fan of Barbirolli, but lazy.  Most of the "famous" recordings
have been mentioned, but I never was one to know limits when it comes
to Sir John.  I understand that not every Barbirolli recording is a great
one, but I will grab every one I can get my hands on, including radio
broadcasts.  There is a surge and heart to his conducting that I find
irresistable.  That said, among the commercial recordings that come to
the top of my head that I would not be without are:

Vaughan Williams Symphonies 2 (especially the early one), 5, 7 (mono),
and 8.  Mahler 3.  All the Brahms Symphonies with the Vienna Philharmonic
and the Fourth with Halle.  Madama Butterfly.  Though they're not held
on the same level as Butterfly, Verdi's Requiem and Otello.  The Beethoven
"Eroica" (admittedly strange in some ways).  His Delius appeals to me
even more than Beechams.  The BBC Legends recordings of Brucker 8 and 9
(the latter in mono) and Mahler 7 are flawed, but I like them anyway.
Did anyone mention his sublime Enigma Variations (particularly the EMI
and the early one from the 40s.  And his Elgar 1 from the 1950s on Dutton?

I better quite while I still have fingers.

Roger Hecht