From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:38:01 -0800
Janos Gereben ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Ensemble playing was impeccable, the sound lush but not too much, solos
>(Sillito again) just wonderful.

We had them in Victoria on Sunday. Wonderful. The programme was
similar, beginning with the Mozart (K.136 yes?) then the Mendelssohn.

The second half began with Purcell's Chaconny and then the
Britten. (Iona Brown was to have done the Strauss Metamorphosen).

>However much Shostakovich had to pretend and fool around in his music, it
>all sounds more `real' to me than most of Britten.  But, I feel decidedly
>undecided about the `correctness' of this.

I'd agree, but then I've never cared much for Britten.

Deryk Barker