From:
David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:48:22 PST
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Helmuth Rilling has an uncanny ability to select and develop young singers
>who then go on for great things.  Attend Rilling's concerts in Germany and
>at the Oregon Bach Festival and you will `discover' Maria Jette, Milagro
>Vargas, Thomas Quasthoff, James Taylor, many others...  and Juliana Banse.
>She was, among other appearances in Eugene, part of last year's world
>premiere of the Penderecki `Credo.'

Rilling may be "developing" Juliane Banse, but some of the credit for
her talent should be afforded to her teacher, the now retired Brigitte
Fassbaender.  The first recording Banse made for Koch was a split effort
with Fassbaender, which appeared two or three years ago.  I appreciate all
the information on Banse's debut in San Francisco.  I am interested in the
forward development of this singer, who is very promising indeed.  Thank
you, Janos, for your report.

Uncle Dave Lewis