From:
Jim Cannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:30:59 -0500
Dave Lampson writes:

>First, we need to examine any direct connections between Brahms and
>Schoenberg.

The Brahms-Schoenberg connection is an interesting one.  About five years
ago the Brahms Piano Quartet in g minor, Op.25 was performed here during
the Columbia (Maryland) Festival of the Arts, and my program notes include
the following paragraph:

   "...Another composer to recognize the symphonic potential of Brahms's
   chamber music was Arnold Schoenberg, who in 1937 made a brilliant
   transcription of the Op.25 quartet for full orchestra.  While Brahms
   and Schoenberg may seem an unlikely pair, it is known that Brahms
   saw the score of the adolescent composer's D major string quartet (a
   work equally in debt to Brahms and Dvorak) and was so impressed that
   he offered to pay Schoenberg's tuition at the Vienna Conservatory.
   Schoenberg felt he could not accept but never forgot the great honor
   Brahms had bestowed upon him."

I wish I could remember my source.

"Jim Cannon" <[log in to unmask]>