From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:39:34 +0100
John Dalmas wrote:

>I am amazed at the arrogance of certain critics I have encountered on
>this list, whom I would categorize not as "record collectors" but as
>"record PURCHASERS," whose "droit de seigneur" seems to be based on the
>number of recordings they have recently added to their collections, rather
>than the perceptivity and discrimination in matters of taste and judgment
>that should be the natural consequence of a lifetime of listening to music
>seriously.
>
>If one cannot recognize in Dinu Lipatti's playing, in the words of
>one noted critic, "the lyricism, grace, elegance and verve, the unfailing
>taste and feeling for continuity in phrase and large structure, in addition
>to the precision of execution and tonal beauty," then we might be better
>served here in discussing the number of angels that can dance on the head
>of a pin.

I find the tone adopted here by Mr Dalmas totally obnoxious.  What gives
him the right to criticize other list members for their taste? And to do it
in a way which can only be described as extraordinary.  First he disparages
the opinions of the critics on the list, then gratefully calls in the help
of another (albeit unnamed) critic who just happens to support his own
tastes.

It shows an unfortunate lack of the common courtesy we can expect from
every member on this list.  We all have a mutual passion:  classical music.
We all enjoy debate.  But we have the right to expect people to respect our
views.  Even when they do not happen to coincide with our own tastes.

Perhaps if Mr Dalmas were to do this, he would find greater pleasure in
the list which, I am afraid, seems to be lacking at the moment.

Jonathan