From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:54:21 PST
Ong Yong Hui wrote:

>But do go try the Medici Quartet's version of Beethoven's early
>quartets.

Excellent recommendation.  I have yet to listen to any version which
combines the playfulness and incisiveness which the Medici bring to these
scores.

I only wish that the Medici had been as successful with the remaining
Beethoven quartets.  Unfortunately, their accounts of the later quartets
lack sufficient power and understanding.

It could well be that the 2 single discs on Nimbus of the early quartets
are no longer in print.  However, I'm confident that the entire Beethoven
set is available at a low price.  I don't care for this type of
re-packaging when the performances are not consistent.

Don Satz