From:
Miguel Ituarte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:16:25 +0100
I LOVE the Quartetto Italiano in the late Beethovens and late Schuberts.
Never heard the "Canzona di ringranziamento..." or the Grosse Fuge with
such perfection and intensity.  Being a pianist, they sound to me a bit
like an "Arrau Quartet"!  Extremely faithful to the score in every detail,
every nuance.  Specially in Beethoven -like the mature Arrau- they take
usually a "moderate" tempo, never too light or "grazioso", always serious;
thats why I prefer other performances of the early works.  But really a
great, great ensemble.

Miguel.