From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:48:52 +0100
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]> pops up:

>Of course I've heard of Rangstroem - I have recordings of all four
>symphonies, plus many of his songs. ...

Most probably (if you have them on CD] you have Jurowskijs cycle on CPO,
and Svendeen/Hagegaard on Musica Sveciae in songs, and then you are a lucky
devil, because they're cool (I mean they are great).

>...  But I'm disappointed you left Pettersson off of the list altogether
>- I'd certainly rank him above Rangstroem, not to mention Alfven
>(symphonies, anyway), especially with the Segerstam performances on BIS
>(slacker that he is in getting them recorded...)

Has he conducted his Pettersson 5th yet?

With Pettersson..."and here we go again" *sing*...there is another
animal.  His 7 symphony is monumental and his 6 is outstanding, and the 2nd
violinconcerto is tremendeous, but I cant say he has done so much more.  We
have his violinconcerto and the middle symphonies, lets say 6-8 and 10...it
is not a lie that Petterssons later symphonies have not the same quality as
his middle symphonies - perhaps his illness caused he couldn't concentrate?

I certainly don't rate Alfven lower than your beloved Pettersson, as
mister Alfven wrote great in all genres (except opera - but Pettersson
either didn't compose operas).  Alfvens songs are absolutely ravishing for
example, while Pettersson with his barefoot songs most probably didn't know
what he was doing.  If you compare Alfvens op.28:6, or even an early work,
such as the great op.4:11...with Petterssons 4th barefoot song you will
also hear it.

You are underrating Alfvens symphonies too, actually this music is more
quirky than one can think: listen to "Midsommarvaka"...many times! Surprise?

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>