From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:43:22 -0500
I find that I must demur somewhat with my esteemed fellow Lister Donald
Satz, who wrote:

>With Rameau, we have writings and musical theories that bespeak a true
>innovator.  Yet, his music is baroque to the core and will likely never
>attain the stature of Bach works, nor should it.

Well, I wouldn't argue that Rameau is going to attain the stature of Bach,
but I don't consider his music to lack innovation, far from it.  When I
listen to the Rousset disk of JPR's overtures, for example, I get the
distinct feeling of someone who HAS broken free of the classic French
Overture form, to something much more freewheeling in style.  I find
both his style of vocal writing and his orchestration to be endlessly
fascinating, both in its beauty and his ability to generate colors out of
the orchestra that even Bach and Handel were strangers to.  This is one
reason why I feel that Rameau needs to be performed with period instruments
moreso than either Bach or Handel, the coloristic aspect of his music being
so important.

>I like listening to Rameau from time to time, but he can get tiring.
>Bach can easily be a daily fixture with no diminuation in enjoyment or
>appreciation.

This of course is a matter of taste, but I also would think that the
two composers' paths did not always follow along the same lines.  Rameau
is mostly known today as an operatic composer, whereas Bach wrote none
(contemporary disparagements of the St. Matthew Passion notwithstanding).
Rameau wrote in some other forms (the Grand Motets, the Concerts and the
harpsichord pieces among others), but in his theatrical music he is justly
celebrated and need bow to no one.

>I like to tell people who have insufficient appreciation for Bach based on
>his use of conventional forms that the form does not matter when we are
>dealing with musical genius; Bach's musical genius transcends form.

This will get no argument from me, except that using JSB as a stick to beat
other composers over the head for being less than the Great Bach means that
very few, if any composers will ever escape being bloodied.

Bill H.