From:
Lindsey Orcutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:46:50 -0800
Ulvi Yurtsever responds to my "dreadful" categorization of Rosen's
Goldbergs:

>I am curious to know why you find it so uninspired.  This is the first
>time I come across such a negative reaction to this recording (I like it;
>although it's admittedly an understated performance).

Honestly, I can hardly remember exactly *why* I didn't like it.  It's been
such a long time since I've heard it.  I do remember thinking, however,
that it was plodding and overly-careful.  It didn't move me, in the way
that too-slow Brahms doesn't move me.

You have to understand, however, that I'm a quintessenital, die-hard Gould
fan, and his two most-famous recordings of the Goldbergs are two of the
three Goldbergs I kept when I got rid of (read:  sold) a great portion of
my collection a few years back.  (The only non-gould Goldberg I own now is
the Schiff recording, which I think is excellent.) I had about 10 different
recordings of the Goldbergs.  Rosen's was the first I sold.

-Lindsey Orcutt