From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:21:44 +1100
Aaron J. Rabushka recollected:

>The one recording that I can think of offhand for a great Serenade for
>Strings I is the one with the Sofia Chamber Orchestra (Denon).  I do recall
>one with Dorati, but I don't remember how good it is.  I know that there
>are scads more, yet I can't think of any at the moment.

The Dorati is with his Mercury stereo remake of The Nutcracker and is a
very good version, although this is rather an expensive way to get it
unless you want a great Nutcracker as well.

I bought the 6-LP set of Dorati's mono versions of the Tchaikovsky ballets
in 1966 for $10 and they are now at the top of my reissue want list.  Until
a few days ago, this position was held by Bernstein's NYPO Berlioz Harold
in Italy which, so their latest newsletter tells me, Sony has just
released.  So take heart - your miracle reissue might be next!

Richard Pennycuick