From:
Charles Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:05:46 -0800
Carlos Kleiber is, for most musicians, the most eloquent and astounding
conductor of our time.  He is a remarkable human being, gifted at levels
and in ways that are little-known to the general public.  Those who have
had the privilege of knowing him seem universally to confirm this.

Other list members will, I'm sure, contribute a list of his CDs, public
and private.  Here's what exists of Kleiber on video.

KLEIBER, Carlos (b. 1930)
Beethoven, Overture to Coriolanus
Bavarian State Orchestra, Herkulessaal, Munich, 21 October 1996

Beethoven, Overture to Coriolanus
Vienna Philharmonic, Teatro Juarez, Guarajuato, GTO, Mexico, April 1981

Beethoven, Symphony No. 4
Bavarian State Orchestra, Tokyo, May 19, 1985

Beethoven, Symphony No. 4
Concertgebouw Orchestra, October 1983

Beethoven, Symphony No. 5
Vienna Philharmonic, Teatro Juarez, Guarajuato, GTO, Mexico, April 1981

Beethoven, Symphony No. 7
Bavarian State Orchestra, Tokyo, May 19, 1985

Beethoven, Symphony No. 7
Concertgebouw Orchestra, October 1983

Bizet, Carmen,
Obratzsova, Domingo, Masurok, Vienna State Opera
Zeffirelli; ORF, 1978

Brahms, Symphony No. 2
Vienna Philharmonic, October 6-7, 1991

Brahms, Symphony No. 4
Bavarian State Orchestra, Herkulessaal, Munich, 21 October 1996

Mozart, Symphony No. 33
Bavarian State Orchestra, Herkulessaal, Munich, 21 October 1996

Mozart, Symphony No. 36
Vienna Philharmonic, October 6-7, 1991

1989 Vienna New Year's Eve Concert
Vienna Philharmonic

1992 Vienna New Year's Eve Concert
Vienna Philharmonic

Puccini, La Boheme
La Scala, with Pavarotti, Cotrubas, Popp, 1979

Puccini, La Boheme
La Scala production at Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo, September 15, 1981

Strauss, Johann; Die Fledermaus
Bavarian State Opera, 1987

Strauss, Johann; Overture to Fledermaus
Bavarian State Orchestra, Tokyo, May 19, 1985

Strauss, Johann; Overture to Fledermaus
Vienna Philharmonic, Teatro Juarez, Guarajuato, GTO, Mexico, April 1981

Strauss, Johann; Overture to Fledermaus
RSO Stuttgart, January 1970; rehearsal and performance

Strauss, Johann; Thunder and Lightning Polka
Bavarian State Orchestra, Tokyo, May 19, 1985

Strauss, Johann; Thunder and Lightning Polka
Vienna Philharmonic, Teatro Juarez, Guarajuato, GTO, Mexico, April 1981

Strauss, Richard; Der Rosenkavalier
Bavarian State Opera, 1979

Strauss, Richard; Der Rosenkavalier
Vienna State Opera and Chorus, March 23, 1994
Lott, von Otter, Bonney, Moll

Strauss, Richard; Der Rosenkavalier
Vienna State Opera and Chorus, December 1996
Lott, von Otter, Bonney, Moll

Verdi, Otello
La Scala, December 7, 1976
with Domingo, Freni

Verdi, Otello
La Scala production at NHK Hall, Tokyo, September 2, 1981

von Weber, Overture to Der Freischutz
Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, 1970

von Weber, Overture to Freischutz, rehearsal
Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, January 1970

May I recommend a starter? The Beethoven 4 and 7 video with the
Concertgebouw. Stunning in every aspect.

Charles Barber