From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:12:39 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>...I find Vainberg very interesting...  an excellent mix of highly melodic
>tonal passages and modernist angst-driven pronouncements.  Vainberg's
>melodies and harmonies are superbly memorable, and the connections between
>tonal and modernist passages well made.

I've enjoyed his music for a while now, and find it well-shaped and fun and
full of passion.  I'd recommend the Olympia discs with his piano quintet,
the one with his trio, and that with his violin concerto.  I find all of it
very impressive music-making, muscular and lively, yet not without depth,
and these three discs are very well paired -- with a string quartet; solo
piano pieces; and his Symphony #4, respectively.

I got the flute and cello concertos on two Russian Discs, however, since
they were nicely paired -- with a Cello Fantasy and his Symphony #12, resp.
The 2-CD EMI Rostropovich: The Russian Years also includes his version of
V's Cello Concerto.  I was not as impressed by (the renderings of?) his
Cello Sonatas on Russian, but at Berkshire Record Outlet, where I got much
of this trove, the price was very right.

I'm now waiting for a disc of symphonies and one of string quartets.  This
last should also be interesting, as it includes #'s 1, 10 & 17 -- a survey
of his excursions in the genre (which I got a taste of with the mentioned
quintet/quartet disc).  I wonder if it's the one you have...

Happy listening!

Bert B