From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:08:09 PST
Olympia has issued about 15 volumes of Vainberg compositions: symphonies,
chamber symphonies, concertos, chamber music, and solo piano works.  Not
having heard his works, I decided to order two solo piano discs and a disc
of string quartets.

After listening to the recordings a few times, I find Vainberg very
interesting.  His music is an excellent mix of highly melodic tonal
passages and modernist angst-driven pronouncements.  Vainberg's melodies
and harmonies are superbly memorable, and the connections between tonal
and modernist passages well made.

So far in 1999, Vainberg is my "discovery." He's on my wavelength.  I can't
be sure how well this music willl wear on me over time, but I'm very
optimistic.

Don Satz