ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:58:28 +0000

Being such a simple soul, my favourite photosynthesis exhibit is the simple
one where a bright lamp shines onto a short (<100mm) piece of Elodea
canadensis (called canadian pondweed here in UK) submerged upside-down in
water. You SEE the light; if neatly displayed you SEE the bright green
colour of the chlorophyll; and you SEE a procession of tiny silvery bubbles
of oxygen streaming up from the cut end of the stem. I don't recall seeing
this done with a close-up video camera and a big screen, but with suitable
graphics that would look so impressive.

Varying the light intensity changes the distance between the streaming
oxygen bubbles. But, unfortunately, not quite fast enough to qualify this
to join my short list of biological interactives with a response time of
less than 3 seconds: ie. producing a change before the visitor has walked
away...

[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell