From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:33:23 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Harrison" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Cumaphos

> Ed said:
> In years past I have made lip balm as well as hand cream using beeswax
from
> my colonies, however the use of Cumaphos put an abrupt halt to making
these
> items.

Hello Bob and all,
   This is about as good as time as any to put out a warning.
Lip balm no.
All comb in the brood nest that has been in there sense apistan should be
culled out--Period!
Those chemicals have been going into the wax. No dough in that statement.
I'm getting reports from California about the bees not taking off as good
this year or as normal. We have been through the weather thing and many
other possibilities. You are only as healthy as the environment you live in.
Those chemicals did not kill the bees, if followed there direction of use.
What is left now is, those chemicals at low levels in the brood box combs.
WE know to replace 30% of the comb each year , so we have a good place to
raise the larva. I dough many beekeepers do that at all.
I do not expect many beekeepers to get the picture. I had a call yesterday
from 150 miles away from a farmer friends wife. She has used some Russian
stock and her bees (only two hive are ready to split) are doing great. She
has been talking to me at the farmers markets about beekeeping. Both of her
neighbors have lost all there bees but not one of them would come and ask
her why she was so lucky. Its not luck.
  On March 14th 2005 I saw honey coming in for the first time. We are having
a very early spring. But that is not the real good news, les than 4% loss
this winter. 3.73 %. It has taken a long time to get all my bees in top
health without chemicals. I still change out the old comb in the brood nest
every year.So the results are in and I will be doing some queen rearing this
year for sale. Most are spoken for already. I will do it for 1 month and
that's it. Location is the problem.
Keep clean brood nests and give the bees a chance to do what they do so
well. Raise young.healthy bees.
Thank You
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries