From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:38:14 -0500
At 10:00 PM 1/28/99 -0500, Joel Hill wrote:
>Sorry to hear of her death.
>
>>She was well known for her performances of Saint-Saens' concertos, but I
>>guess that these recordings are quite difficult to find now.
>
>Luckily I have mono LP's of her Saint-Saens' Concertos 1, 3 and 5 along
>with the Septuor.  As I recall, there were no other recordings available
>of numbers 1 & 3 when I got these disks.  She evidently recorded all the
>S-S Concertos, and the copywrite date on my disks in 1967.
>
>My disks have Pathe, EMI and Plaisir Musical as the source, with liner
>notes en Francais only.
>
>Joel Hill
>Tallahassee, FL
>
>[The complete set (2CDs) is available at from CD Connection for $14.
>Just use tha basic catalog number (69470) in the search engine on the
>CDC home page.  -Dave]

Compact Disc Connection (which I rightly or wrongly assumed was the same
as CD Connection [It is the same.  They are the oldest Internet mail
order company.  -Dave]) listed two recordings, viz.,

$14.28 SAINT-SAENS*C. -- CT PNO 1-5
IMP69470     3/98     IMPORTS     details    Add to Basket
Darre*Jean-Marie (Pno)

$11.71 SAINT-SAENS*C. -- PIANO CTO 1/5 SEXTET
EUI69470     EMI/ANGEL     details    Add to Basket
Darre

Clicking on the "details" of each, I found no additional information
about the $11.71 (not even whether all concertos plus the Sextet were
crammed on one CD or, if not, on how many), about which nothing further
was said.  [That's because the EMI disc is not in the Muse database.  The
description above is explicit, however.  The EMI disc has concertos #1, 5
and the septet.  The other three concertos just basely fit on to the second
disc.  -Dave] I did find out about the $14.28 that it was a special import,
specially priced and available for a limited time, on 2 CDs and that it
included the Septet Op. 65 for piano, trumpet, string quartet, and double
bass.  I decided to spring for the extra $2.57 and placed my order for the
recording w/ information.

Compact Disc Connection listed six recordings by Mme Darre.  Four of the
others were Chopin and the fifth, entitled "Early Recordings" contained
works by various composers.

Walter Meyer