From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:41:45 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>There's lots of great recordings of this, the height of Mahler' art (IMO).
>Sanderling/St. Petersburg is a current favorite on the Mahler-List; lots
>of people like Barbirolli (either of the studio ones; I have the EMI
>coupled with Metamorphoses);

There is only 1 studio Barbirolli, but it is available in two transfers:
the EMI France c/w Metamorphosen (the original LP coupling) and the other
one (Forte?) c/w Ein Heldenleben.

>...maybe a good middle-of-the-road candidate would be Szell, and budget
>priced at that.  I envy you your first listening to this Work (upper-case,
>sic).

I think middle-of-the-road is the one place Mahler 6 should never inhabit!

I realise you may be talking tempos, though.  But I found the Szell a huge
letdown, compared to my memories of a 19698 LPO 6th Szell gave - now that
was a great performance.

If you want MOR tempo-wise, I suggest Horenstein.

Deryk Barker