From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 02:41:36 -0500
Gal Shalev wrote:

>One composer I would have liked to see live longer is Pergolesi!  His
>Stabat Mater is a work of genius and I think that if he had passes the
>age of 28 he would have gotten to the emotional maturity of Hnadel even.
>By the way, the fact that Stravinsk's Pullcinella Suite is based on his
>music is also quite complimenting.

Most of the music used by Stravinsky in Pulcinella is not by Pergolesi.
If Pergolesi had written all the music mis-attributed to him, he would
have to live 100 years.  Seriously, few other composers suffer from so
many mis-attributions as Pergolesi.

I'm not sure why it's such a big compliment to have one's music used by
another composer.  Besides, both were outstanding composers.

-Margaret