From:
Jynn Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:39:30 -1000
Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>Jynn, what is your opinion of the "Chinese-ness" of Das Lied von der
>Erde? Any other Chinese listeners, or anyone else for that matter, want
>to respond?

I think Mahler incorporated some pretty interesting Chinese-like melodies
within the framework of Western Classical music.  This is especially
noticeable in the third movement which IMHO shows that Mahler can write
memorable tunes.  Of course, in all the other movements, there are some
bits and pieces that do sound oriental though not necessarily "Chinese".

Dick Hihn wrote:

>They are largely xylophone-type instruments and gongs (gender, bonang,
>others whose names I've forgotten) and drums, but also often included a
>flute-like instrument (suling) and a two-string bowed instrument (rebab)
>as well as a singer.

The basic gamelan is just the percussive instruments I believe.  As Mr.
Hihn has written, other non-percussive instruments are usually added as
well.  I also believe that I have heard the violin included before.  Though
having heard the Gamelan only a few times in my life and I can honestly say
that the array of sound the comes from it is pretty impressive.

Anyway on February 16th, Chinese all over the globe will usher in the Lunar
New Year of the Rabbit.  So I wish everybody a Happy and Prosperous Lunar
New Year!!

Jynn Tan
Honolulu, Hawaii