From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:28:55 +0100
I firstly wrote an answere, emprunte of diplomacy and
philosophy, asnwering each argument. But it was far
too long for the list. So, I try this one, sharp and
short as possible.

1. There is enough information available to allow each
one to make his/her own opinion and behave
accordingly.

2. It appears there is a wide gap between scientists
community shaking the bell of the boat and the common
knowledge, even in this informed community.

3. The CO2 allowances market is estimated to 50
billion euros for the 2005-2007 period. Think about it
a quarter of a sec and evaluate if it worth a few
minutes of your time to think and write about it, to
be informed and make your own opinion.

4.

> I was wary of the topic from this very first post,
> realizing the potential
> to get off-topic was immense.

Indeed, it was. Just to keep us awake during those
long grey snowing days.

 I feel it's
> safe to say that there
> are beekeepers that recognize global warming as a
> real phenomenon that needs
> to be addressed, and there are beekeepers that
> recognize global warming as
> bunk.  Is too, is not, is too, is not.

If one is not convinced of anthropogenic emissions on
climate, there is no need to worry nor assess anything
about CO2 and all that stuff, nor to change habits.
Everything is going for the better in the best of
worlds as Candide was repeating.

But if beekeeping is strongly dependant on flora and
climate, I think beekeepers do not have the luxury to
ignore the debate and stay apart, giving up the debate
to scientists (who no longer debate about it),
politics and lobbists. And if decision makers agreed
to spent not million but billions of dollars on that
issue, I guess it worth a bit of our time, and some ko
in the archives.

But if one does not want to have his own position
about it, anyway someone will think and decide for
him. People have the politics they deserve and have to
live with their decisions, beekeepers included.
Believe me even if "merciful" is not in lobbyists
vocabulary, they speak loud.

Clearly, there are tons and tons of information about
that issue on the net, in magazines and journals. But
if you are amazed of the way journalists can
misunderstood quite simple issues in beekeeping, think
about what they can do with complexe environemental
and scientific issues. Jim Fisher wrote an article in
ABJ about beekeeping and climate change that I found
excellent. He addressed those questions. I regret he
does not step in anymore in Bee-L debate and I hope he
will jump in this debate. There is far enough
available information for all of us to make our own
opinion and behave in consequence.

You want facts, so I suggest to consult only top
international research about it. In French, the Cité
des Sciences just published the book Annonce d'un
boulversement annoncé which is a compendium of very
last reaserch  in the world about it. In Canada, the

- About computer modeling. The Hansmunsen mission
concluded, like Californian and other in the world,
that 20 to 30 year ago predictions, with the knowledge
and the equipment of that time, are confirmed by
todays measurements. So scientists are more and more
confident with their conclusions, and are more and
more skaking the bell.

- About natural cycles and sun activity to be
responsible of climate change. They were respectively
arguments of lobbies in the 70's and in the late 80's.
Problem is I, and you, and my small small children
would not have to worry about natural cycles that
occurs on centuries. Look at the slope of the CO2
curve. Phemenon are not on the same time scale at all.

- About global warming and ice age. This is a
misunderstanding of information. I think Jim's article
was clear about it. Global warming does not mean you
will be surfing in Groenland beach tomorrow. It means
microclimate will be modified by a global elevation of
temperature. Jet stream may not warm Europe as it is
now doing and Europe may be colder. It means regional
climate will be modified quickly. Very quickly when
compared to species adaptation capacity. The
biodiversity conference in Paris in early 2005 with
the cream of scientists of the subject : endengered
species are 1/4 of mamalians species, 1/5 of birds
species, 1/3 of batracian species.

Beekeeprs will adapt but it is may time to stand up
the nose from the two inches road  byond our tire and
look what the horizon look like.

Hervé