HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:51:53 +1000
Lyle

I used a portable XRay machine on a timber gun carriage that was operated by
Australian Defence Industries to routinely check for welding flaws, concrete
reinforcing etc.  Such machines are around in the building industry but the
ones I have seen are calibrated to see through concrete and steel, rather
than through weatherboards or plywood sheet.

It was an incredibly heavy lead suitcase holding a small radioactive source
and it fired through the target to an Xray sheet taped on the back of the
item.  I was told to stand far, far away, so it may not be suitable for an
occupied or busy area.

Denis