From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:43:32 +1100
Janice Rosen:

>I am looking for a newspaper article from the past 20 years in which a
>well known Jewish conductor or composer was quoted as saying that we
>should focus on and appreciate Wagner's music rather than debate his
>life.  It may have been Bernstein or Barenboim or someone else.  I am
>not sure.  Can someone point me to the citation and/or the article?

I remember a kerfuffle some years ago - it may have been as long ago
as the late 80s - concerning Barenboim's wanting to conduct Wagner in
Israel, which caused me to write a letter to an editor, but I'm unable
to find it.  However, this article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/1455466.stm of 2001 vintage,
may be what Janice had in mind.  By typing "Barenboim Wagner Israel"
without the quotes in the Google search box, many other articles are
available, although some tedious registration may be necessary.

Richard Pennycuick