From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:48:17 -0600
I said:
> Apparently you are alone in your thinking

Keith said:
False, hopefully others that are now on this list will back up my statement.
J.W., M.B. tell everyone about feral honey bees and how much they out
perform carefully bred strains.

Now would be a good time to give a crash lesson in bee breeding.

The best bees ever produced I have seen came from one of two types of
breeding programs. For the survivor program the closed population breeding
works best in my opinion but only a handful of people around the world are
able to to use the program succesfully for too many reasons to post right
now.

The second is the inbred-hybred breeding system which as Keith pointed out
you need to keep buying queens.

The closed breeding system can be further divided into two types.

The instrumental insemination program which by far has the most control but
due to only a small amount of people worldwide which use instrumenatl
insemination (II) closed breeding programs using II
are fairly rare.

The other is the closed breeding system using remote breeding yards (Brother
Adam used at first and then used II in later years with the Buckfast bee)
but because a drone may mate up to 20 miles from his hive (Dr. Larry Conner
2004) one can see a single drone can cause mixed results.

In a breeding program many times II breeder queens pay and not cost. You are
buying the genetics!

With the Purvis Brothers Apiaries queens Keith is refering to you are
getting the final genetics of an eight year closed breeding system using
instrumental insemination.

I remember a Glenn Apiaires "Marla Spivak hygienic II breeder queen ". The
first arrived dead in the cage. A report was filed with the post office an
another sent. The second produced over a thousand hygienic daughter
queens.Using the thousand figure the cost per daughter was seven and a half
cents a daughter queen!

Keith said:
Maybe I am wrong about you Bob, but it was my understanding that you have
patented a stock of bees and stand to benefit monetarily.

Dann Purvis applied for the patent to protect his eight years of hard work.
I did enter into a   written  agreement with Dann Purvis and a retired
researcher ( wants to remain unnamed on Bee-L)  in order to learn the makeup
of his patented bee. The information is between the three of us and if I
share the information with others I can be sued! Dann and I are sharing
genetic material in the way of Russian/Russian queens. Dann and I are close
friends. We both used to raise and breed fish. Dann tropical fish and me
marine fish. Marine fish biology is my hobby.

I said:
> Slipping in a varroa tolerant queen is the easiest , cheapest and
> fastest solution to a varroa problem.

Keith said:
But can unravel quickly if not dealt with properly by breeders, unlike the
stability that can be gained by keeping bees on a more natural system.

Keith is correct with the inbred/hybred system *but not* the closed breeding
system.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Fish enthusiasts scroll down.

I have  a marine fish tank which has been running over twenty years without
a tear down

The local marine fish club considers the tank a record for the club.

The dolomite for the tank was given to me by a local fish shop as being
thrown away as the shop said the pH of a salt water tank could not be
maintained with dolomite after five years of use.Goes to show you can not
believe everything you read in marine fish books!

The tank was inoculated from a handful of wet Florida beach sand brought
back by me from a trip to visit my family!