ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:16:08 -0500

Okay so this is a late response but...I used to say the same thing....

Stand with your back touching the wall and the back of both heels touching
the wall. Without bending your knees, bend forward at the waist and touch
your toes without falling over. Can't be done.

...but it actually *can* be done.  I've seen it done...there are two
ways/reasons it can be done:

#1:  Some places have a base border - on rare occasion they are thick
borders - effectively allowing people to push their butts to the wall!
#2:  Someone could fold over incredibly quickly and compress her/himself
darn flat.  I used to tell my class that anyone who could do it would get
$5.  *That* gave them plenty of impetus to try... and eventually two people
succeeded.  One was a gymnast-type who crawled down the side of her body
then quickly compressed flat.  The other one went flat quickly as ell but
then, grabbed a little handhold on the base of the wall giving himself
enough added force to counteract the little amount of weight that was over
his toes.  Students can keep you honest...but they still understood the
idea...and over 99% of the time you'll be right about people not being able
to do it.