HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:23:31 -0400
Dane,

We all share your frustration that the United States government did not call
out every military helicopter in the nation to rush into Louisiana and
Mississippi to pluck out all the survivors of Hurricane Katrina. However, none of us
are helicopter pilots and few are medical doctors or magicians. We are all
concerned for the destruction of heritage resources and it is totally appropriate
for Vergil Noble to address emergency conservation of collections because
that is part of what we can do in the crisis.

Each moment I peer into my TV set, I am astonished not to see thousands of
soldiers, sailors, air men, and marines standing on street corners protecting
and saving those in need. What idiot failed to send them? We have hundreds of
ships withing hours of New Orleans capable of making fresh water from sea water,
but why are they not anchored and doing something? People are dying from lack
of water and food and medicines and the dead (in Mississippi) are being
temporarily tied to trees. Yes, this is a national crisis, but part of that crisis
is to save our heritage. That is what WE do and this is the place to talk
about it.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.