HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Greg Jackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:09:56 +1100
Dear fellow dirt scratchers,

I am currently working on a site that operated as metalworking shops
during the 1840s-1860s, and the evidence so far suggests that the
blacksmith/tinsmith and forge areas were timber-floored. This would seem
a little counter-intuitive, given the potential for fire, but it is what
the dirt seems to be saying. I would be interested in hearing from any
folk who have experience with these kinds of sites: how were the floors
constructed etc.

Greg

Greg Jackman
ARCHAEOLOGY MANAGER

Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority
Port Arthur
Tasmania
Australia  7182

Ph: (03) 62 512 336