HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Greg Jackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:59:00 +1100
Hi Iain,

We use a Garmin etrex pretty well all the time coupled with ArcGIS just
for moving waypoint information.  For more complex stuff I have used a
Compaq iPaq with Navman GPS sleeve.  Arcpad was the software, which
enables you to use forms that are fully compatible with your desktop
GIS, so your field work can be pure check-box if you like.  Couple that
with a digital camera module and you can spatially reference the images
for a comprehensive digital field experience.  Hang on that sounds a bit
dodgy...

So extract the digit Iain, and leg it on down to your local purveyor of
palm products, and see if he/she can't take some of the paperwork out of
your next bush bash.

Greg

Greg Jackman
ARCHAEOLOGY MANAGER

Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority
Port Arthur
Tasmania
Australia  7182

Ph: (03) 62 512 336