From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 15:56:37 -0500
Miguel Muelle:

>I love the transcriptions of Bach's keyboard music to orchestra (the
>Sitkovetsky, Stokowski.  etc.), but I also love the transcriptions from
>ortchestra to keyboard, as in the piano 4 hands versions of the Orchestral
>Suites as well as the Brandenburgs.  I have the Suites, in a "bearbeitung"
>by Max Reger, played by Sontraud Speidel and Evelinde Trenkner.  It is
>astounding!  It never lacks weight or fullness, and the pacing is very
>similar to my favorite orchestral version, Casals with the Marlboro
>Festival Orchestra.  I can't find the Brandenburgs, but I will keep
>trying.

Two of my favorite - because they're so outlandish - Bearbeitungen are
Robin Holloway's 'Gilded Goldbergs' for two pianos, and Uri Caine's
orchestration (wildly done) of the Goldbergs.  As it happens I've reviewed
both at amazon.com;

Holloway's Gilded Goldbergs at

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006RHQB/classicalnetA/

Uri Caine's Goldbergs at

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004RGPM/classicalnetA/

You'll see that mine is not necessarily a majority opinion in either case,
though.:-)

Scott Morrison