Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:48:54 -0500
From:
"Peter J. Schledorn" <[log in to unmask]>
David Cozy wrote:

>For an intelligent rebuttal of White's position see Alex Ross's recent
>post, "The Cassandra act #146," at his blog.
>
>Ross's response begins: "The Norman Lebrecht Award for Overzealous
>Classical Doomsaying goes this week to the New York Times, for today's
>article 'Twilight of the CD Gods?  A Studio "Tristan" May Be the Last
>Ever.'"

I think he was rather missing the point.  The Times article was specifically
about studio recordings, and how companies are preferring live recording
instead (either for CD or DVD).  Ross offers a list of recordings, but
then says, "Yes, most of them are live, not studio, but that's no sign
of decline." Well, that's exactly the point.  It's not about decline,
but about change.

Sure, Ross is right that it's also about hyping the recording so it will
make a profit, but I think he went off half-cocked.

Best,
Peter