Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:33:49 -0500
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
James Tobin wrote:

>Symphony orchestras really do need to sell thousands of tickets to
>survive, and American orchestras are, accordingly, in crisis, but I
>really mind Midgett's suggestion that the symphony orchestra may be an
>"outdated" institution.

The symphony orchestra is a product of its time.  For me, the literature
written and being written for it, are relevant.  It has usually relied
on patrons who contribute beyond the call of duty, however, several of
the major ensembles began life as cooperatives.

Speaking with some ethnomusicologists I know, the Orchestra is irrelevant.
Economically, its costs usually exceed its income.

>It is essential to renew and refresh the audience, even if some people
>with rigidly limited tastes are lost.

I don't see the motivation to renew and refresh the audience, but to be
true to the product.  If there are enough people who find the product
relevant, it has a chance.  However, I remember reading somewhere that
even if most major ensembles sold out every concert, they would still
lose money.

For me, what is more important to let this art form not only survive,
but develop is to keep costs down, and perhaps follow some of the business
models for classical recordings as established by Klaus Heymann of Naxos.
I believe, in general, musicians have been excluded from the process of
management.  True, they need their time to develop their art, but by
being removed from the process of management, they have no control over
the wide differentiation in salaries (orchestra players, versus conductors,
soloists and management).  It will take someone with the brilliance of
a Klaus Heymann to infuse a different business model to performing
organizations.

>I was very struck by William Schuman's account of his first concert.
>His initial musical taste was jazz but he happened to find himself at
>a symphony concert and was so overwhelmed by the sheer sound of the
>ensemble that he decided to write for that kind of group.

The sound of the orchestra in concert brought me to music as well.  I
remember Bill saying something like, "the orchestra is one of the great
expressions of Western civilization.  Consider one hundred individuals
coming together, bringing all of their training and tradition, to providing
a shared vision of expression." Personally, I can't think of anything
like it.

Karl