HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
david G Orr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:21:27 -0500
Bob S. has opened a can of memories.Growing up in
Northeastern Pre-Rust Ohio meant that you MUST play marbles.
It was a mandatory activity and  was a real rite of passage
when you finally, with difficulty,came of age.The marbles had
names; piries(sp?), aggies, cats eyes, etc.  We called the
marbles "glassies".  Marbles was practically a professional
sport; all young kids (mostly boys but I remember some girls
who were very proficient at it)played the game and there were
interminable tournaments for the ones particularly gifted at
the sport. The circles in the hard baked ground surface were
rigorously measured since most of us were brazen enough to
play 'Keepers'. This meant just that; to the victor belonged
the multicolored glass orbettes so skillfully won by smacking
them out of the circle with your prized shooter. My brother
wore his large Warren City Marble Championship patch on his
jacket deep into his Warren High School days until the lure
of Black Panther baseball and football finally conquered
him.My favorite Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post Cover
is the one of the girl "cleaning up" in marbles while two
feckless lads could only watch as their prizes vanished!!

We made belts out of the bottlecaps and also flipped them
like we did baseball cards. Oh the fifties..O Tempora, O
Mores!!!  dgo