HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:00:37 +1100
At the risk of sounding slightly fussy (and Anita, sincere apologies if I'm
treading on your admin toes here), might I ask that Histarchers think about
whether it's always appropriate to include the full text of the e-mail they're
replying to when posting a message to the list?

There certainly are cases where it'll be wholly appropriate, but it can _really_
make it difficult to read the digest version of HISTARCH properly if most of the
messages in the digest consist of a paragraph or sentence of new text above
several paragraphs worth of multiple older e-mails that are themselves repeated
several times in the digest.

It's been particularly noticeable this past week with so many people expressing
a wholly understandable concern over and desire to help with the Katrina
situation.  There's been an awful lot of hitting "reply" then "send" without
much deleting of the previous e-mails in the thread.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled historical archaeology posting.