HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Larry Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:30:15 -0400
Thanks to all who replied to my questions. I had several responses about
Ellenville Glass Works and Heye.

It seems that the Ellenville Glass Works/Factory/Company was in operation
from 1836-1896. Over those years it had different owners and various business
formats with slight name changes.

There seems to be differences of opinion about the founders of the company
and where they came from. Creswick (the citation I gave earlier) felt that the
owners had come from Wawasing just down the road from Ellenville. And, that
they had been in the glass business together there previously, as early as 1816.
The local history web page hopefarm.com sounds like a summary of the
McKearnins' 1948 statement which is that the founder came from CT. Maybe they are all
right given that there were likely several partners early on.

In her early draft about our assemblage and the Ellenville bottle found in
VA, Gwen Hurst cited Creswick instead of the McKearnins. Gwen was very familiar
with the latter. I think she had memorized their books. For her own reasons
she chose to cite Creswick.

Gwen had other notes about Ellenville as well. She thought that the glass
works resumed business, operating interchangeably under the name Bahr Demijohn
Company and Ellenville Glass Company from about 1912 until 1921/1922. She did
not leave references. I was unable to quickly verify.

The H. Heye Bremen bottles. These appear to be from the Caspar Hermann Heye
Glasfabrik (starting circa 1829) and presently under the name Heye-Glas. Brush
up on your German.  http://www.heye-glas.de/indexd.htm

Cheers,
Larry Moore