HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Gibb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 12:35:55 -0400
Ron and Fellow HistArchers:
Given the range of materials recovered and the number of what would have been valuable bottles in the early 19th century, an after work fling seems improbable. (But thank you for that insight into your approach to project completion.) I think that this pit was part of the legitimate or illegitimate/clandestine functioning of the cellar. Grant Q. suggested an abandoned cooling pit of some sort, and that idea has some merit. We might also consider the possibility that the pit was dug by one or more individuals with the intention of hiding that which they preferred not to be seen..evidence of clumsiness or theft.
Jim Gibb
Annapolis, MD  USA