HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:09:38 -0600
Brian Siegel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>>While I too remember James Deetz arguing that American archaeology
was nothing if >>>it wasn't anthropology, <<<

Actually, if you don't mind my butting in pedantically, it was Philip
Phillips who said "new world archaeology is anthropology or it is
nothing" in 1958, in the first version of what was to become the classic
Willey and Phillips text "Method and theory in American Archaeology" :

http://archaeology.about.com/blquote51.htm

(and the only reason I know that is somebody kindly corrected me several
years ago, and showed me where to find it)

Kris

K. Kris Hirst
The Wasteflake Project
http://www.wasteflake.com and
Guide for Archaeology @ About.com
http://archaeology.about.com
Tolerence for ambiguity is as essential as the Marshalltown trowel. --
Alice Beck Kehoe

More Quotes: http://archaeology.about.com/blquoteold.htm