ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Julie Wignall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:17:47 -0700

Re: Master Planning

Sean,

With more than 25 yrs. of experience working with all size facilities, I take a common sense approach to master planning.  Unless you work for a museum that has tons of extra money to spend (in all my years of experience, I've yet to
find one of these), there are certain basics that I think any facility ready to develop a masterplan should take into consideration.

In the hopes it may be helpful, here's the short version of my soapbox lecture.

What is the purpose of your master plan?

There are too many architectural renderings of beautiful facilities that end up in closets after years of staff members staring at them and wishing for the future.  Is this something that you actually intend to create in the future?  If
so, there are certain things, in my opinion, that a complete masterplan program should consist of to gear you for its successful culmination.

1) Interpretive Plan
This is the overall development (or redevelopment) of your museum.  It should clearly state your mission and show how the exhibits reflect this.  This provides an interpretation and complete description of each exhibit and display.  It
should also contain a listing of suggested fabrication materials and sources, estimated cost analysis for each exhibit, and space allocations for retail, food and beverage, offices, meeting/education areas, storage and workshop areas,
etc.

Choosing a consultant or masterplanning firm:  The job of the consultant/firm that develops your interpretive plan is to develop your ideas and put them in a workable format that is cost effective.  Communication is the key here.  You
need to work with a consultant or masterplanning firm that you feel listens carefully to input from staff involved in exhibit design, has a good grasp of the whole picture, and pays attention to details.  Ask any prospective
consultant/masterplanning firm about their philosophy in museum planning and exhibit design.  Every facility must be designed from the combined perspectives of visitor experience, operational needs, and management objects (that's a
different lecture---I don't want to get off track here)

2) Architectural Renderings
As you near completion of your interpretive plan, it's time to bring in an architect to design (or redesign) your building and property layout. Remember that architects design buildings and masterplanners design public exhibit space.
The architect needs to meet with the consultant/masterplanning firm and museum staff to review the interpretive plan and address public space issues.  The final version of the interpretive plan should reflect any changes that may come
out of this review.

Choosing an architect:  Some masterplanning firms have their own architects.  Some museums have architects as board members who are willing to provide services at lower rates.  Some museums want to use national known architectural firms,
others prefer local talent.  Each project is unique and different.  You know what will work best for your facility.

3) Business/Operations Plans
The best interpretive and architectural plans will go down the tubes without a good business/operations plan.  The goal in developing this masterplan is to actually build it, right?  A good business and operation plan will develop your
program to pursue funding to proceed and will show how your facility will be sustainable once it's built.  I cannot begin to stress how important this is.  A good business/operations plan will help seal the deal for any major individual
or corporate investor.  This will also provide the groundwork for information that is often required for grant seekers.

Choosing someone to write your plan:  Check with your consulting/masterplanning firm to see if this is something they offer.  You can find numerous basic programs for writing business/operations plans on the internet if you want to
tackle this yourself.  In the United States, we have SCORE (a govt. assoc. of retired executives) that give classes and will help you develop a business/operations for free.  How to know if your plan is solid?  Look at your board members
and/or any volunteers at your museum with connections to the banking community or business.  Ask them to review your plan and poke any holes they can in it (better to find shortcomings early on).

4) Research Studies
If you're planning on going after grant money, many funding organizations ask for independent research studies showing the need for your project, public interest, etc.  If you've come this far in developing your masterplan, it would be
sad to stop at this juncture!  Check grants you're looking to qualify for and find out their requirments.  If you need research studies, get them!

Choosing a firm:  You can ask the consultant/masterplanner you've been working with; some may provide research studies while others may have suggestions of firms to contact.  While I've worked with some museums who would like to conduct
their own research, I advise against it for grantseekers ( a study by an independent firm helps to prevent a conflict of interest).  An inexpensive option which may or may not exist in your area:  sometimes local colleges and
universities are willing to conduct your research surveys as a student project.

5) Model(s)
The public,  investors, and potential donors become increasingly excited when they can see a model, allowing them to visualize the finished facility.  Once your master plan is complete consider a scaled model of the facility.

Scaled models of specific exhibits (especially those that do something--have a level to pull, a button to push)  are great for fundraising purposes.  I can't begin to tell you how many executives I've watched who sat mesmerized with a
small exhibit model.

Choosing a model maker:  Your architectural firm will be able to provide a model.  For a less expensive alternative, check with a local university/college for architectural students.

Now, aren't you glad this is the short version of my soapbox lecture?

Wishing you the best of luck!!

Julie Wignall

Biodynamics Inc.
7265 W. Coley Ave.
Las Vegas, NV  89117
(702) 368-4994
Fax: (702) 368-4998

"Exhibit Design, Master Planning, Educational Programming and Video Production/Documentary Services"