HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:41:22 -0400
Some reenactors do go to extremes, there is the story of the staff
member at Plymouth, MA who decided not to bathe, Can't see getting
trench foot as a good idea either, why would one want to be that
authentic for WWI?

Others serve a very useful purpose. It would have been very difficult
to do the movie Gettysburg without the reenactors. Imagine trying to
outfit 15,000 people with period costumes today. I am also involved
with a group who not only dress up (I just watch and work the
bellows), but also do bloomery smelts and occasionally try my hand at
smithing. The historic literature and archaeology leave much of how
smelting worked unclear. Reenactors who also do experimental
archaeology have added a lot to the knowledge base.

My favorite story is about a group in Arizona who did Indians and
Cavalry. They mounted up and chased each other across the wilderness.
One evening the chase led, inadvertantly, through the camp of two
retired couples with an RV. As the story goes they were out in the
middle of nowhere sitting around a fire when they heard lots of hoof
beats. A band of "wild Indians" thundered through their camp.
Whooping and hollering. The Indians rode off into the gloom. A few
minutes later a small patrol of US Cavalry showed up. The Lieutenant
in charge stopped, greeted the two couples and asked if they had seen
a band of "hostiles". One of the retired pointed a shaking finger off
in the direction the Indians had taken. The LT touched his hat and
thanked them and led his patrol off in pursuit. The reenactors
finding their pristine wilderness had been violated decided to make
the best of it. Don't know if the two couples ever went camping again...

James Brothers