HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 04:06:33 -0400
Would a maid necessarily, as claimed in the article, have eaten
different food? Or would she have eaten the same, albeit maybe a bit
less, or even leftovers? If the later, part of the premise for the
DNA analysis is not going to work. But does anyone know that much
about 9th century Norwegian household organization, or are the
archaeologists making an assumption based on more modern practice.
How big would a household have been 1200 years ago in Norway? I have
seen both organizations in medieval households, but cannot recall
anything specifically about the customs and foodways of 9th century
Norway (suspect that what there is is only available in Norwegian).
Even if my sister is named after Kristin Lavransdatter (set a bit
later) by Sigrid Undset. While it netted her the Nobel I prefer the
Master of Hestviken.

James Brothers